This new edition of Sir Thomas Malory's LE MORTE D'ARTHUR was a terrific project to work on. Penguin USA wanted a new cover and type treatment for this classic.
My tools of choice for this project was my old Speedball nibs and handles, a bamboo reed pen and sumi brush with Higgin's Eternal ink.
Working from my thumbnails, I knew bold rough marks were needed to go with the broken gothic mix of typography I had in mind.
This 140 lb Lanaquarelle watercolor paper is terrific stuff. Really tough and can take the roughest, scratchiest marks without feathering. Washes are a breeze. I got this large 113/4" x 15 3/4" from Legion Paper; a fantastic company for quality art paper.
My roughs for King Arthur started...well... rough; dunno why I started on a white legal pad. I used a Sheaffer NoNonsense fountain, Pentel brush pen, Faber Castell Pitt brush pen and a Sharpie.Fountain Pen Hospital.
After the project was completed, I thought it would be great to make woodblock prints of the approved and alternate cover designs. I'll have a future post of the finished blocks and prints along with the details of the tools and material that I use from McClain's Printmaking Supplies.
|This Shina Polywood cuts like butter.|