Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Brause Nibs for astrology guides.

After seeing some of these Brause nibs in action, I knew I had to have some. I found a great little set at Goulet Pens and they really are terrific. They were a nice addition to the Speedball nibs and handles that I've used for years and they came in handy for illustrating the 2012 editions of Sydney Omarr's astrological guides for Penguin books.
This set comes with 6 nibs and a wooden handle.
I ordered extra handles.
The nib designs are awesome, each offering it's own line variation. 
Pieces in Noodler's brown ink.
Aries
Virgo
I needed to do a lot of thumbnails for this series design and my choice of tools varied. 
I love these  Pentel Twist -Erase mechanical pencils. They come in 0.7 and 0.9 sizes. I prefer the .9 for a wide lead that does not snap easily. The long twistable eraser is not one of those little nubby ones that can't take any pressure, it's awesome. They're easy to find at your local Staples. As usual, I buy in bulk for fear of them being discontinued. 
Both the 0.7 and 0.9 Pentel Twist-Erase pencils.
A Sharpie and a legal pad was all I had handy when
sketching ideas on the phone.
Sometimes a seemingly insignificant thought
becomes the start of an entire idea.
If it wasn't for these sloppy little drawings,
I'd never be able to get this job off the ground!
The Omarr guides are on the shelf in bookstores.
I colorized the artwork digitally so they could be adjusted in the final design; each guide needed it's own color scheme. We created the type design and look for the entire series.  The 2013 guides are in the works at my studio now.

2 comments:

  1. What a fascinating journey from conception to in the booktore! We've always loved these Omarr covers of yours. Can't wait to see the 2014 covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Random anecdote: I was Google-searching the words "ink stained celluloid", looking up interesting pictures of demonstrator fountain pens-- I've been doing Zentangle-style drawing exercises and learning about pens. I saw your Pisces sketch come up in the image search results, and followed the link to a Pinterest page-- disappointing because finding the source of those images is usually quite difficult. But I saw a snippet of the word astrology and your name in the preview of the link address, so I searched that, and ended up here. And the kind of artwork you're doing is exactly the stuff I've been looking up for inspiration lately, and now I probably have to go get some of these guide thingies if I can find them. So you never know how the Internet might bring folks to you four years later.

    ReplyDelete